OK, so I am thinking about starting a new business in the landscape and gardening area. There are a lot of possibilities running round my head, so I need to create some priorities and see what I need to do once I have settled on the main bits.
- Start off as a weekend business and build the brand and customers.
- Focus on the earthmoving and digging tasks initially.
- Want the equipment to be based on the Dingo mini digger.
- Do I need a small truck or just use the ute.
- Should I have a carrying capacity with a tipper tray.
- Do I need to get a truck licence.
- How big a loan do I need.
- How big a loan can I service.
- What sort of tax breaks are available.
- Should I set up a company or run as a sole trader/partnership.
- Set up a spreadsheet to capture all of the details required for financials.
- Set up a spreadsheet to do the accounting.
- Look into grants and low/no interest loans and see what may be available.
- Write a business plan.
- Talk to the bank about loans and how to structure it to safeguard existing assets (home).
- See how competitive the business is in this area.
- Monitor the Hickinbothams development approved for the area.
So a lot of things to consider and I probably haven’t covered the important things yet. I will start to detail what I do and what processes I need to follow and the red tape I encounter as I progress.